Package Your Stay
Your stay at the White House Inn is more than just a room and breakfast, it’s an experience. Reserve one of our vacation packages to get a unique view of Cooperstown, America’s most perfect village. To book one of these packages, call us at (607) 547-5054.
Folk-Art Painting Weekend at The White House Inn
July 30th to August 2nd | August 6th to 9th | August 20th to 23rd
Discover Cooperstown’s rich history in the folk arts with traditional yet unique works from local artist Marjorie Landers. Marjorie’s creations are inspired by the quaint villages, beautiful countryside, and breathtaking mountains of Upstate New York, where her skill and craft in painting traditional folk-art scenes are perfected. In partnership with The White House Inn and The Family Tree Studio, Marjorie is offering exclusive Folk-Art Painting Weekends where you can learn the unconventional skill, technique, and practical improvisation of rustic folk-painting, all while enjoying the natural calm and serenity of lovely Cooperstown. During this class you will explore your creativity through hands-on learning and step-by-step guidance.
Marjorie’s class is for painters of any skill level – no matter how many works of art are in your past, you will receive any one on one attention needed to help improve and perfect your talents! To ensure that every guest receives dedicated attention and teaching during the class, and to keep everyone safely socially distanced, we have limited each class to 8 people.
Your Exclusive Painting Weekend includes:
- Complete Painting Course where you will learn the beauty of acrylics as you paint your own work of folk-art from start to finish
- Learn from acclaimed local artist, Marjorie Landers, where she will lead you through exercises and painting demos to producing your own beautiful folk-art.
- Students will learn fundamental methods with a paint brush. For the more experienced student, this class will polish skills as well as develop and refine your personal aesthetic.
- In this interactive class, we will paint 2 new compositions – both a complete canvas and decorative ornament, inspired by some of Cooperstown’s unique surroundings.
- Dedicated hands-on teaching with Q&A and critique as an integral part of the lessons.
- After-hours studio time for you to work on your masterpiece or collaborate.
- All materials needed for the course will be included:
- Set of ten (10) Acrylic Paint Brushes
- All acrylic paints & colors used (plus any others you may need)
- 16” x 20” Artist Canvas
- Blank wooden decorative ornament
- A complimentary homemade face mask to help with the social distancing as we need it
- Three Night Stay at The White House Inn
- Nestled in the heart of Cooperstown’s historic district, The White House Inn is a premier retreat just a block from the Studio.
- Acclaimed as one of Upstate New York’s most unique and vintage locations, relax with their spacious backyard, comfortable sitting rooms, and cozy beds.
- Take a short walk to Main St. or Otsego Lake, which boasts restaurants and shops where artistic inspiration is all around you.
- Wake up to a fresh cup of coffee and full-course breakfast, all included with your stay.
- Tour of the Cooperstown Fenimore Art Museum
- Located on the edge of beautiful Otsego ‘Glimmerglass’ Lake, The Fenimore Art Museum’s collection strengths include the Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection of American Indian Art, American fine and folk art, 19th and early 20th century photography, as well as rare books and manuscripts.
- Tickets to the museum are included as part of the weekend package.
- Daily Lunches & Local Restaurant Discounts
- Lunch will be provided on both days of the course, featuring a fantastic selection of sandwiches and salads from Danny’s Market and Kelly’s Deli.
- Our friends at Nicoletta’s Italian Café and Mel’s at 22 are offering a 5% discount for all students and guests who dine with them.
- Coffee and refreshments will be available to all students throughout the weekend.
- A 10% discount on all paintings, furniture, and crafts at The Family Tree Studio
Weekend Class Itinerary
- Check-in at 3:00 PM at The White House Inn: Make yourself comfortable and begin to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of your beautiful room.
- Meet & Greet Cocktail Hour at 5:30 PM: After settling in, we will join Marjorie Landers in The White House Inn Gathering Room for a light cocktail hour, where you will get a chance to meet the other artists and learn more about the weekend’s activities with some light refreshments.
- A Night in Cooperstown: Just a block from Main Street, you can take a nice walk downtown and explore all the fine dining establishments the town has to offer. Stop by Nicoletta’s Italian Café or Mel’s at 22 for 5% off your dinner.
- Breakfast at 8:30 AM: Enjoy a complimentary full-course breakfast to get you ready for your exciting day of creativity ahead!
- Acrylic Folk-Art Painting Session at 10:00 AM: Just a short walk from the Inn we will arrive at The Family Tree Art Studio, which Marjorie calls ‘home’. Here we will begin the class and receive detailed instructions for creating your own canvas-masterpiece.
- Break for Lunch: All lunches will be provided as part of the class where you will have your choice from a customized menu of sandwiches and salads from Danny’s Market and/or Kelly’s Deli.
- Acrylic Folk-Art Painting Session at 1:00 PM: Continuing with our canvas, we’ll start to practice the finer details of acrylic painting where you can begin to add your own personal style while receiving one-on-one tips and critique.
- Dinner On Your Own: Just a quick walk down Main St. will reveal a plethora of dining options. Didn’t get a chance to visit Nicoletta’s or Mel’s? Our featured discount lasts all weekend!
- Free Studio Time: Exclusively for this class, The Family Tree Studio is keeping the doors open after hours so you may work on your pieces outside of the dedicated course times.
- Breakfast at 8:30 AM: Your complimentary breakfast will be hot and ready when you wake up at The White House Inn. Day 2 has a lot in store!
- Tour the Fenimore Art Museum at 10:00 AM: Located a few minutes from the Inn, on the edge of beautiful Otsego ‘Glimmerglass’ Lake, The Fenimore Art Museum’s collection strengths include the Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection of American Indian Art, American fine and folk art, 19th and early 20th century photography, as well as rare books and manuscripts.
- Lunch at back at the Studio: Making our way back to The Family Tree studio, your previously selected lunches will be waiting for you. All lunches will be provided as part of the class where you will have your choice from a customized menu of sandwiches and salads from Danny’s Market and/or Kelly’s Deli.
- Folk-Art Decorative Painting Session at 2:00 PM: After gathering some local inspiration, we’ll head back to the studio and begin the next lesson from Marjorie. Following her guided instruction, you will learn some of the creative ways you can introduce folk-art into your home décor as you paint a unique decoration to proudly hang on your wall or tree.
- Dinner On Your Own: Ask about some of our other favorite dining establishments around town!
- Free Studio Time: Want to continue working on your classwork or perhaps ‘ride the wave’ of your artistic enthusiasm? The Family Tree Studio is keeping the doors open after hours so you may work on your pieces outside of the dedicated course times.
- After another full day of art and inspiration, you can wake up to a complimentary full-course breakfast at the White House Inn.
- The Family Tree Studio is offering FREE framing of your canvas with purchase of a frame.
- Check-out is at 11:00 AM: Let us help you gather your supplies and works of art as you prepare for the journey home with your newfound talents!
Cost of Painting Weekend Package:
Complete Weekend Package: $899
- Includes full itinerary, stay at The White House Inn, and exclusive discounts at preferred dining establishments in Cooperstown.
Weekend Folk-Art Class (Class Only): $299
- Great for local artists! Includes the full itinerary of weekend activities with the exception of lodging, breakfast accommodations, dining discounts, and after-hour studio time.
Collection Care and Conservation Workshop
You may have wondered how a place like the National Baseball Hall of Fame maintains the 40,000 artifacts, 145,000 baseball cards and millions of other pieces that it collects. Now you can find out with the Collection Care and Conservation Tour. This behind the scenes tour walks you through, with their experts, how the National Baseball Hall of Fame cares for their collection, giving you the knowledge and experience to care for your own
Cancelled for the season
Schedule of Programs
9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Check-in
1:00 p.m. – Welcome and Introductions
1:30 p.m. – Why Do We Collect?
2:00 p.m. – Principles of Collections Care
2:30 p.m. – Break
2:40 p.m. – Shoebox Treasures Presentation
3:30 p.m. – Care of Photographs
4:00 p.m. – Archive Tour
5:30 p.m. – Cocktail Reception
6:00 p.m. – Private Group Dinner in the Hall of Fame Plaque Gallery
9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. – Morning Welcome
9:30 a.m. – Care of Textiles
10:00 a.m. – Care of Baseball Cards
10:20 a.m. – Break
10:30 a.m. – Care of Paper Documents
11:00 a.m. – Care of Baseballs
11:30 a.m. – Care of Bats, Gloves and Shoes
12:00 p.m. – Lunch Break
1:30 p.m. – Q&A Session
2:00 p.m. – Our Museum in Action Overview
2:15 p.m. – Identifying Archival Quality Products
3:00 p.m. – Event Wrap Up
This package is only available April 12th and 13th, 2019. It includes breakfast & accommodation at The White House Inn, a Sustaining Membership with the National Baseball Hall of Fame and a catered dinner in the Hall of Fame Plaque Gallery.
Starting at $532.00
Baseball Hall of Fame VIP Experience
The White House Inn is proud to be a part of the VIP Experience, a behind-the-scenes look at the Baseball Hall of Fame.
This two day scheduled tour contains exclusive experiences you can’t get anywhere else. Put on top of that the breakfast and rest that you’ll get at the White House Inn and you couldn’t ask for a better baseball pilgrimage.
The VIP Experience is only available for certain dates and requires advanced booking.
Cancelled for the season
Custom Tour Experience
With the Custom Tour Experience package you can have a focused look at artifacts and items from the team of your choosing. This package includes a one day tour and two night stay and is only available weekdays, Labor Day through Memorial Day, excluding holidays. There is a four person maximum and one week advanced booking is required.
Schedule of Program
Greeting and Welcome
Hall of Fame Introduction and Mission
Private viewing of artifacts from your favorite team
Highlight Museum Tour
Introduction to the Museum focused on your favorite team
Starting at $575